Artistic Concepts by Carolyn

Daily blog of art in progress by Carolyn Needleman with personal comments by the artist. I primarily work in oil, because I enjoy the rich texture and buttery feel of the oil as I paint. You can manipulate oil to create color excitement, drama, mood and texture in a painting. There is a pleasure in creating a work of art from first draft to finished project that excites me and fills my fundamental need to create.

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Tuesday, June 27, 2006


Wow! The month of June is almost finished for this year. Time is certainly flying by, when you're having fun.

Let's see....It's been about a week since I did an update on my blog. What has happened?

The session with my art mentor, Lori Levin, went very well last Thursday. I started on a new still life, 16" x 20" in size. Lori did my set up of object and lighting for me. (She knows me well by now and incorporated some of my favorite items.) Not telling what they are as yet...But they made me smile.

She made me do my homework by doing my pencil preliminary drawings first for placement of objects. Actually, she made me do three. When we were both satisfied, I drew my favorite of the three drawings onto the 16" x 20" canvas with vine charcoal. I then checked my work for accuracy. After that I outlined objects with a very thin wash of Ultramarine blue to hold the placement. I will then begin to actually paint the still life this Thursday.

I have been working on other projects this week at home. I am still working on a still life of pots, pans, glassware and apples on a yellow tablecloth. It is also 16" x 20" in size and is going well.

Today I worked on a smaller piece, 8" x 10" of a red American Beauty rose. It is almost complete. I need to paint the rose's leaves and then I will be finished with this art work. I am very pleased with the way it is going...It almost painted itself.

I will try again to add pictures but I'm not optimistic that I will be able to show you what I am talking and working on. I need my computer expert to help me, and my son (who is the expert) is very busy with his children this week.

Bye, Think and enjoy art! Beauty is in many places.

Carolyn

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home