Artistic Concepts by Carolyn

Daily blog of art in progress by Carolyn Needleman with personal comments by the artist. I primarily work in oil, because I enjoy the rich texture and buttery feel of the oil as I paint. You can manipulate oil to create color excitement, drama, mood and texture in a painting. There is a pleasure in creating a work of art from first draft to finished project that excites me and fills my fundamental need to create.

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

New Work in Progress

June 14, 2006

I have started on a brand new series of work, since my artist cupboard is now empty. (I have sold all of my oils on canvas.)

Monday, I went looking into my stack of drawings for inspiration and I came across an unfinished pastel drawing that I did while I was taking an art class at Rowan College, in Glassboro, NJ several years ago.

I decided that I would make a new piece, smaller than the original, but incorportating all of the design features.

Work was begun on Canson grey pastel paper, size 9 x 12" I first sketched the placement of various objects with graphite pencil. When satisfied, I begain using pastel in a various crosshatching technique, layering darker colors over lighter colors. I played with various techniques and truely enhoyed the entire process from beginning to end.

On Tuesday, I begain the entire process over again, in oils on canvas. The canvas piece wll have most of the same objects in it, with additional objects to give the finished work more punch and interest, since it is a much larger canvas than the pastel piece.

So far, so good.

Carolyn

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home