Artistic Concepts by Carolyn

Daily blog of art in progress by Carolyn Needleman with personal comments by the artist. I primarily work in oil, because I enjoy the rich texture and buttery feel of the oil as I paint. You can manipulate oil to create color excitement, drama, mood and texture in a painting. There is a pleasure in creating a work of art from first draft to finished project that excites me and fills my fundamental need to create.

Thursday, May 08, 2008

It's Gonna Happen

The new oil painting has been started at last!

It depicts summer and autumn vegetables, just like my new pastel work. This piece is on a 16" x 20" cotton duck canvas, gallery profile.

I blocked in the outline shapes of the vegetables yesterday. Today I started blocking in general color to the veggies, nothing specific as yet, just tone and shape. I will deal with the negative space later in the day, using burnt umber. I will warm the burnt umber with tones of red and cool some areas in deep shade with ultramarine blue.

All of the above is necessary to adjust tones and deal with negative space.

If you are wondering why I am not working of the pastel piece, I needed to order several new colors of pastel sticks and I am waiting for them to arrive before I continue. They should arrive by early next week.

Well, enough for now, I need to get back to work.

See you soon. Enjoy the day. Hope it's a great one for you.

Carolyn

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home