Artistic Concepts by Carolyn

Daily blog of art in progress by Carolyn Needleman with personal comments by the artist. I primarily work in oil, because I enjoy the rich texture and buttery feel of the oil as I paint. You can manipulate oil to create color excitement, drama, mood and texture in a painting. There is a pleasure in creating a work of art from first draft to finished project that excites me and fills my fundamental need to create.

Friday, August 11, 2006

A Day that is Satisfactory!

Friday


The last few days have been most satisfactory. My painting has gone well and I finished three pieces that were "hanging around" uncompleted. All small floral pieces. They are now drying and need varnishing. They also need names! Woe is me, names! I need inspiration.

I also went back to another incomplete work, "Jill's Garden, 2" I re did the entire background. The piece now has the look that I am trying to portray. All of the flesh tones now have to be re done plus her hair. Jill will be finished, God willing by this week end.

This afternoon was spent in Pennsville, NJ working with my mentor, Lori Levin, in her studio.
I had started a still life that she set up for me before I went away on vacation. It is a 16" x 20" original work with some of my favorite items. (Books, choc chip cookies and Coke Cola!)
It's not as basic as it sounds as there are other items in the still life, but you get some idea of what I am talking about. The work went very, very well today and I should complete it next Thursday.

Thanks go to Lori for all of her good advice, comments, and critiquing. She has helped me to look at my work from a different perspective and has helped me to discipline my bad habits.
(Some of the bad habits are still there, but I am working on corrections.!)

Enjoy each and every day. Remember to stop and smell the flowers.

Carolyn

1 Comments:

At 4:19 PM, Blogger Lori said...

Carolyn...you are a hard worker...a true pleasure to work with you!

Lori
www.soulfulstudios.blogspot.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home