Artistic Concepts by Carolyn

Daily blog of art in progress by Carolyn Needleman with personal comments by the artist. I primarily work in oil, because I enjoy the rich texture and buttery feel of the oil as I paint. You can manipulate oil to create color excitement, drama, mood and texture in a painting. There is a pleasure in creating a work of art from first draft to finished project that excites me and fills my fundamental need to create.

Thursday, April 27, 2006

April 27, 2006

The last few days have gone very well with painting projects. I finished one version of "Jill's Garden." The completed work is posted on the April 26, 2006 posting. I am happy with that version. I will now go back to my first version and complete it also, to have two very different versions of "Jill's Garden" to sell.

Today I finished my still life of African violets in a white and blue bowl with a silver spoon on red velvet. It has a romantic, Victorian mood to the painting. I have been thinking of a name for this piece and it has eluded me up until now. I think that I will name it "Not a Shy Violet." I need to let the spoon dry and then varnish the piece. It will be offered for sale at the web site called "artbyus.com" At least I think that is the name of their web site. Will let you all know for sure before I place it up for sale. Pictures to come after I varnish the piece.

I also worked on "Two Egg Omelet" today. It's an interesting piece to do. There is a lot of grey color and tone in the egg carton. It's quite a study in warm and cool colors. I am using a very limited palette of Alizarin Crimson which is a bluish red, yellow ocher which is a dull yellow by itself, but turns a beautiful yellow when mixed with white, and French Ultramarine Blue which is a deep blue. The piece requires a lot of observation skills and slight variations of hues and tones. I will photograph it tomorrow when the sun comes out for you to see it's progress.

I want to take this opportunity to thank my mentor, Lori Levin of Soulfulstudios.com for all of her advice and critique of my work. Her advice is always welcome.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home