Artistic Concepts by Carolyn

Daily blog of art in progress by Carolyn Needleman with personal comments by the artist. I primarily work in oil, because I enjoy the rich texture and buttery feel of the oil as I paint. You can manipulate oil to create color excitement, drama, mood and texture in a painting. There is a pleasure in creating a work of art from first draft to finished project that excites me and fills my fundamental need to create.

Saturday, April 22, 2006

April 22, 2006

I was able to work on "Jill's Garden" today. The background green color was "tacky" but dry enough to add shapes in the background. I was also able to work on Jill's face and arms and part of her dress. Her dress is now red. The pinks in her face and her dress were so close in tonal value that both were getting lost. I needed to change one or the other and the dress was the winner.

I was planning to offer a botanical study of yellow lilies for auction to ebay. Upon reflection and careful study, I decided not to auction this piece. I do not think that this piece is up to my standards. The composition is weak and it breaks the "rules" of placement of subject matter. (One is allowed to break the rules of course. But in order to do this you must have a strong subject and portray it convincingly.) This one didn't do it. Back to the drawing board. That's what happens when you rush and try to cut corners and not do your prelimary planning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home